Music provides us with a great way to relax and enhance our day to day life. Not only that, but it brings us into a peaceful state and makes us feel a lot better and suitable for any type of work. While we can always buy the album of those artists we love, we can easily listen to music online if we have an internet connection. Not only that, but there are numerous free music download sites that allow you to download music from them at any given time. We will try to cover 20 of the most popular music downloading sites that you can find online.
Part 1: Top 20 Free Music Download Sites
Mp3.com is just a great source for various music genres. It’s one of the oldest free music download websites out there and has numerous songs to download. Yes, you might not be able to download albums, but you can download individual songs, which are a great way to preview a certain album and see if it’s worth buying.
Pros: One of the oldest music download sites, offers a lot of variety.
Cons: Despite its age, it has a small database when compared to newer sites.
Jamendo provides royalty free music that you can download at any given time. You might need to purchase a commercial license if you want to make money off this music, but if you download it for your own listening pleasure, you are free to do so.
Pros: The discover mode allows you to find new music easily. The integrated player works great and you can add music to your account as well for listening to it in the future.
Cons: The database is a little smaller than you might expect, with only 400000 titles.
Freesound is great for people that want to download music samples which they can include in their own projects. Not only these sounds are available at high quality, but you can easily download them as many times as you need.
Pros: Each sound has its own set of tags which provides you with the means of reaching it faster.
Cons: You need to login in order to download anything. Database is comprised only of sound samples and some of them aren’t high quality.
Public Domain 4U is a free music download site that features only public domain music that can easily be downloaded without hassle. It features numerous popular artists but also some amazing historical recordings, making it the perfect venue for people that have a wide interest in historical music.
Pros: Provides a window to the past with some amazing tunes. Sound quality is good.
Cons: It’s only a database that links to other websites. Layout is broken under some browsers.
Here you can access tons of free music, placed into multiple categories that you can browse freely. You can view music by checking artists, tracks, albums and genres, but also by date added and other criteria. There are tons of songs at your disposal, so you’re bound to find something you like here.
Pros: You can sort music by curator or genre. There are lots of songs that you can listen to and each one has its own dedicated page. Tracks can be embedded to other websites.
Cons: You can’t see the progress bar for the songs, so you can’t browse it any way you like.
Bumfoot focuses on a certain type of music, which is trance, techno and electronic. You can check out a large album/song database here, which is great to say the least, especially if you are passionate for such musical genres.
Pros: You can browse the website based on releases and artists. There are quite a lot of tracks on the website.
Cons: The lack of a dedicated player is immediately felt when you visit the website. You can’t play the songs on the website, only in your web browser or dedicated third party applications.
Unlike other free music download sites, this music download website not only has a much better layout, but it also brings a huge database of amazing songs. Each song is accompanied by a description, but the downside here is that if you plan to use these songs on a commercial level, you do need to copy and paste the ownership text in the credits.
Pros: Sound quality is great and there are numerous genres on the website to fulfill the needs of just about anyone that browses it looking for quality music.
Cons: Each file comes under a certain license that you need to take into account before downloading and using it in other projects.
What makes this free music download site stand out is the good player bundled with the website. On the other hand, there aren’t that many songs here, but it’s still good enough if you are looking for some great pieces of music.
Pros: The site provides copyright free music.
Cons: Database is very small, with only a few tracks per genre. No progress bar or player, so you’ll have a hard time finding out where the music comes from if you have tons of tabs opened in your browser.
Noisetrade has a wide range of music genres, and it expands with more and more albums added each and every day. You can leave a tip for the artists that upload the music here, if you want. Or you can share the page to your social media accounts, such as Facebook and Twitter. Everyone is a winner at NoiseTrade, which surely makes it one of my favorites.
Pros: Website design is incredibly beautiful and makes it very easy to browse through all the functions. Has a wide range of music available. Noisetrade allows you to connect with the artist’s website and social media accounts.
Cons: Shows a progress bar when you listen to a song, but you can’t browse through the song, it’s only for display purposes.
Soundcloud is one of the best free music download sites in the world. Not only it allows you to upload music freely, making it a YouTube for music, but it also a good way of promoting new music creators as well. People can like and share the music, and they can even access the website of each artist.
Pros: One of the most complete music databases in the world, with millions of existing tracks and thousands added daily. It has a very easy to use interface and simple design. You can browse through the songs and they even remain in the background after you leave their page, ensuring that you get a great musical experience.
Cons: Not all songs can be downloaded from this platform.
You can browse Soundowl at any given time while the music is still playing. This makes it the perfect occasion to relax yourself while also finding new music. You can download the desired song just by clicking on the song name, something that makes the download process a lot easier and fun indeed.
Pros: Good music quality. You can create your own account and favorite songs as you see fit, then download them. Include a player that allows you to browse the songs when you want.
Cons: Not that many tracks for each band, could use a little more diversity.
Madeloud is a website that promotes mainly indie music. So, if you are an indie music lover, you are bound to find something interesting and new for you here. You can gain access to new albums and download them for new free, if you need.
Pros: A wide range of indie music and fast download speeds. Includes a dedicated player.
Cons: Only indie music can be downloaded here. Website layout can be a little misguiding at times.
This musid download website brings various loops and beats for free. They are great for integrating in your musical projects, and are available under a great license, Creative Commons. We actually enjoy using this website ourselves from time to time, as you can find some good music here.
Pros: Brings both beats and music alike. Has a wide selection of songs as well. Fast downloads.
Cons: It can get a little hard to browse all the items since the interface can be quite misleading.
This is basically what the name says, a farm full of music. You can find just about anything you want here, from chillout music to fast paced songs. Everything you want is at your disposal, which is great. In addition, downloading is very easy, and you don’t even need an account to grab the songs you want.
Pros: You can create a playlist, share music, embed player. The website has a large number of tunes.
Cons: Not all songs can be downloaded from the website. Some songs have bad quality.
Another independent music jewel. Here you can find the next, upcoming stars and their new musical achievements. Downloads are available free of charge, of course, and you have numerous genres to choose from.
Pros: Sound quality is over 128kbps. You can create a favorite list and download all items you can listen to.
Cons: Not that many genres are present here. The interface is badly designed and it doesn’t say what song is currently playing.
Musopen is the place for instrumental music greatness. It features just about any type of musical instrument you can imagine. In addition, the music can be sorted by composer, instrument but even period of time if you want.
Pros: Lots of tracks and great website design that makes very easy to browse and download files. Has a shuffle component that allows you to find new music.
Cons: Sound quality can suffer at times.
Yes, this one might not have only free music, but there are still numerous pieces of free music available here. You can donate to the artists if you want, but these pieces are still available free of charge.
Pros: A great interface and tons of songs, with thousands added daily. Includes a new section and it’s browsed by both artists and fans alike.
Cons: Not all items are available for free. Some people have experienced download problems even after purchasing songs.
MP3Lemon allows you to download just about any music available out there, as it has a huge database of old as well as new music. Be it dance, trance, soundtracks or rock, they have it all. The download process is fast, and browsing the website is very easy as well. A great choice for music enthusiasts that don’t want to download their music, instead they want to listen to it on their PC/Mac.
Pros: Has a mix of both old and new songs. You can preview the songs before downloading them, and you can also download full albums. Sound quality is great.
Cons: It can be a little hard sometimes to find the song you want and the download links seems to stop appearing on some websites.
A huge database of musical genres that you can download without hassle. It’s really recommended for just about anyone, as long as you have the time to browse the database and see if there’s something you like.
Pros: Open source music library available in many countries. Great selection of musical pieces.
Cons: You get only open source tracks, new tracks can’t be found here.
You can find just about any music here. What makes it stand out is that you can see the last 200 searches and analyze what is popular at that certain time. And that’s about all that makes it stand out, the other features can also be found on other websites. However, it does offer good download speeds, which is really important for a music download website.
Pros: Shows you the last searches. Allows you to browse the website via tags, even has a mobile version.
Cons: Sometimes points to download links from websites whose legality is questionable.
Directly Record Unlimited Free Music
The direct way to get free music from any music sites should be recording music by using iSkysoft Audio Recorder. It can save you much time without downloading music from above free music download sites.
- Record unlimited free music from 500+ music sites.
- Automatically filter Ads and split tracks.
- Identify music info like Title, Artist, Album and Genre.
- Download and save music to high quality MP3 or M4A files.
- Directly transfer recorded music to iTunes library.
Part 2: The Best Free Music Download Programs for Mac or Windows
Free Music Download on Mac OS X
1#: iSkysoft iTube Studio
This music downloader is regarded as the most powerful music download application that allows you to download music from 1000+ more music or video sites in just one click. It can detect the online music playing online and enable a Download button to capture the music file. And this music downloader also provide you a quick way to get the music with just the music URL. What's more, its built-in conversion function lets you to download music to many formats. The easy-to-use interface allows even the software green-hand can handle it freely.
Why Choose iSkysoft iTube Studio
Support 100+ Websites
One click to download music as well as videos from YouTube, Vimeo, Metacafe, Myspace, Break, Dailymotion, Facebook, VEVO, etc.
Convert YouTube to MP3
Download and convert YouTube to high quality MP3. Convert videos or music videos to MP3, M4A, WAV, MKV, and other audio formats.
Presets for Protable Devices
Support optimized presets for iPhone, iPod, iPad, Android tablets, Android phones, PSP, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3, Xbox 360, and more.
Download to Any Formats
Converts existing or downloaded FLV/MP4/WebM video files to WMV, AVI(XviD), MOV(QuickTime), MP4, 3GP, MKV , MPEG-1, MPEG-2, etc.
2#: Media Drug
This free music download program is indeed one of the best you can find on the market. What we really like about it is surely the way you can browse new albums and download them with ease. Yes, unlike other apps, downloading full albums at once is very easy to do, and that is surely great. You can also check the music out by accessing the integrated player. We have to say that the whole download experience was done without a problem. The player works as advertised, making Media Drug a cool app for those that want to experience music in a unique way.
- How to use: Upon opening the application you need to enter the name of the band you are looking for in the Search panel. You can press the Download button near each search result, as this will automatically download the song and place it in your playlist.
- Pros: Easy to use interface and fast download speeds. It allows you to access a very large music database, which is great.
- Cons: You need to modify application settings before downloading anything, as files won’t be added to the playlist immediately and the target folder is hard to reach.
This free music download application is highly regarded as one of the best Bittorrent clients out there. What few people know is that you can actually use it to download music without a problem from various websites as well, while also downloading your torrent files. Vuze is available free of charge, and you can easily take advantage of its advanced functionalities at any given time. We recommend it to any user searching for a wonderful music download experience.
- How to use: You search for music in the large search bar that can be found on the upper left side of the interface. After you do that the songs will automatically be downloaded to the target locations, where you can immediately access them.
- Pros: Fully featured torrent client that offers premium support for downloading music files. Files are downloaded very fast and you can see precise information regarding the location you download them from/download speed/track quality.
- Cons: Its interface is very complex and might take you a while to get accustomed with it.
Just like Vuze, Frostwire is a torrent client at heart, but it does come with support downloading music, listening to Internet radios, searching Soundcloud and various music archives, making it a very efficient tool to say the least. It even has a video player bundled with the package. The downside is that, when you download multiple files at the same time, the app can become unresponsive. Aside from that though, we didn’t experience any problems while using this tool.
- How to use: Usage is similar to other torrent clients, you just need to enter the search term in the search bar and you can choose which one of the results you want to download. Downloading simply involves right clicking the desired item and pressing Download.
- Pros: Very fast download speeds and the ability to preview the item using the integrated player.
- Cons: Poor file management options.
Miro integrates with the robustness of a music player with the perfect ability of downloading music at your own leisure, without having to wait. You can also use it to convert and sync music to your devices. Just like the solutions presented above, Miro is also suitable for downloading torrents, something that makes it suitable for just about any type of job that involves downloading a media file from the Internet.
- How to use: Miro is also a torrent client, so it involves searching for a torrent in the search bar then downloading it with ease. Once the download process is complete you can access the song in your torrent folder.
- Pros: Allows you to download, play and convert songs in a single place, without the need of additional apps.
- Cons: With so many options, the interface can be overwhelming at times for novice users. Conversion speed is very slow at times.
jEar is a tool that makes it easy to retrieve links from music engines and download them without a problem on your computer.
- How to use: First of all you need to install Java, then open the app and search for the desired song. Once that’s done, you will have to click the Download button and wait for the file to finish downloading.
- Pros: Very easy to use, has a single function and does it well.
- Cons: Being built using Java, jEar can require massive amounts of memory at times. File management is a little hard to do when you have more than 10-20 songs in the download list.
7#: Beatport Pro
Beatport is a great way to actually download all the music you want on a single device without any problem. Not only it reduces the complexity of many similar applications, but it also brings creative freedom and flexibility to the whole experience, something that’s really desirable to say the least.
- How to use: First of all you need to choose what exactly you want to search for. Once you do that, you can easily buy the songs or download them for free simply by clicking the download button.
- Pros: Not only it allows you to download music, but it’s also an excellent music management utility as well.
- Cons: Things can get a little hectic at times, especially if you are using it to manage your own music collection as well.
The Tribler application is first of all a Torrent client, but it does its job of downloading music for free very well. It’s amazingly fast for an unpaid tool, and the whole experience doesn’t stop here. You are free to download any type of torrent file, which is surely amazing to say the least. We actually use it on a day to day basis and we have to say that it’s really impressive. It also brings the ability to download and view videos using the embedded players, which is surely essential.
- How to use: Usage is as simple as any other torrent client, you enter the search term, choose the desired torrent and download it. Then you can open the file location and access your file with ease.
- Pros: Fast speeds, great community and low resource consumption.
- Cons: Interface could use a little more work, as it doesn’t really cover all the information that you might need.
Torrent client at its core, it does bring numerous downloading abilities to the table, which is indeed important. You can also use it to download videos, books, but music as well. Music downloading is surely an amazing feat, and it does bring a lot of unique features, as well as fast speeds that make the whole downloading experience unique and also different from the rest of the bunch.
- How to use: You need to search the music you want on the torrent websites and then double click the torrent file in order for Transmission to download it. Once the download is complete you will be able to access the file.
- Pros: Fast download speeds and minimalist interface.
- Cons: Doesn’t allow you to search for songs and only downloads them.
10#: Soundcloud Downloader
Yes, this application might work only with Soundcloud, but it does make the whole downloading experience very fast indeed. And with Soundcloud hosting millions of sound files, there are no limitations on how much files you can download from them. Just remember that only 5 tracks can be downloaded at any given time, if you plan on batch downloading.
- How to use: You just need to enter a Soundcloud URL or search term in the main window of the application, then press the download button if you find a song you like.
- Pros: Minimalist interface and support for simultaneous downloads.
- Cons: Supports only a single website and doesn’t allow more than 5 batch downloads at the same time.
Free Music Download on Windows PC
This free music download tool allows you to download songs from Soundcloud using a Single click. In addition, things like setting the title, artwork, author and other ID3 related information can be changed as well, so the whole process of adding it to your library is surely simple and reliable. It provides iTunes compatibility and automatic updates, bringing a complete package for your listening pleasure.
- How to use: The application integrates with Soundcloud, so it basically allows you to press the download button when you use the website. The taskbar menu enables you to customize download locations and other features which are necessary.
- Pros: It allows you to download just about any song on Soundcloud at high speeds.
- Cons: Downloads can break at times, needs more features such as pausing and managing downloads.
#2: MP3 Rocket
This free music download program not only allows you to watch videos but it also makes one hell of a job when it comes to downloading music as well. It allows you to download audio files from the web and manage them within a very easy to use and reliable interface. It also makes it very easy to play these songs and also gives you access to more than 4 million songs that are available under the creative commons license, which is surely great.
- How to use: You need to enter the desired term in the search window, then press the download button and the file will automatically be downloaded.
- Pros: Fast download speeds and easy to use interface. You can also use it to download and play videos.
- Cons: Limited capabilities when it comes to managing downloaded files.
Brings peer to peer music sharing to a whole new level. It’s 100% free to download and use, and it’s also one of the safest applications out there. Organizing your songs is very easy to say the least and the application also integrates seamlessly with iTunes. Few people know this but Ares was initially an application spin-off of the Gnutella network. However, due to its unexpected success, Ares became a one of a kind application that still helps you download all the music you need.
- How to use: You search for the desired item and just download it by right clicking on it and pressing download. Files are easily managed, which surely gives Ares a great advantage when compared to similar apps.
- Pros: Fast download speeds, reliability and tons of information about both the app and the downloaded files.
- Cons: Old interface that needs some modernization.
What makes iMesh stand out of the crowd is surely the fact that it gives you access to more than 15 million different songs. All of them can be downloaded at any given time legally, without any hassle. It’s also a good app and network to listen to various DJ stations, share the music you love and discover new artists that sing in your genre, all from the comfort of your desktop. iMesh got its popularity from promoting indie music, but you can surely find tons of other categories as well, so you’re bound to find what you need, as long as you are willing to search a little for it.
- How to use: You will need to enter the desired search term and select the song from the results list. Then you just have to press the download button and wait for the download process to finish.
- Pros: Gives you access to a large music database. Download speeds are very fast.
- Cons: Some downloads will fail to start at times.
Blubster is actually a very easy to use utility that’s not widely marketed, but it does bring a lot of unique and interesting things to the table. You will first need to find the music you want, then download and play it, all from within the same unique interface. The download is around 20 MB, so you won’t have to wait long for that. Music can be organized based on addition date, which makes the whole management process a lot easier as well.
- How to use: You enter the search term in the main window of the application, then wait for the download to finish and preview the song if you want.
- Pros: Allows you to access a large database. Great interface. Allows you to rate songs.
- Cons: Although it’s faster than a torrent it lacks great management abilities for downloaded files.
This application is basically a cloud music player that not only streams and downloads music from web services such as YouTube, MusicSearch, Prostopleer, Groovershark and others, but it also makes it easy for you to listen to the music that’s already on your computer. Not only this makes the whole experience a very interesting one, but it’s also unique as well.
- How to use: You enter the search term in the toolbar and download one of the results. Wait for the download to finish and you will access the desired files.
- Pros: Has an interesting interface and brings fast download speeds.
- Cons: Still a development version and lacks numerous features such as file management and other search options.
An open source utility that allows you to download both videos and music from the same easy to use interface. It provides cross-platform support, being available for both Windows and Linux, and it does make it very easy to manage all downloaded content without too much problem. What’s more, you can even play the downloaded files, something that’s interesting and also quite useful as well. Pymaxe is a donationware product, and you can easily download it at any given time if you want.
- How to use: You need to enter the name of the song in the Search tab and double click one of the results. The file will be downloaded in the desired folder.
- Pros: Simple yet efficient interface. Shows a large artwork for the current song or album.
- Cons: Open source project that crashes from time to time.
#8: Music Chow
Music Chow is a wonderful testament on how important discovering music can be for some people. It surely looks great and functions very well. When you search for a certain item, Music Chow crawls the internet in order to find the file you requested. You can then download the music file without a problem on your computer, thus removing any hassle from the experience.
- How to use: When you open the app you will see a large search box. You will need to enter the desired search term here and double click one of the results. Wait for the download to finish and then you can play your newly downloaded song.
- Pros: Fast and precise downloads, easy to use interface.
- Cons: A sluggish file manager.
#9: MP3 Jam
Mp3 Jam allows you to download music legally and remove the hassle from long and tedious searches for a certain song. It has a database of more than 20 million songs, and it provides a legal download or all of them. You can also perform full album downloads and smart music searches as well.
- How to use: Just like the other applications, it requires you to search for the desired song, album and artist, then download the music you need with a simple double click. Once the down load is complete you can listen to the song with ease.
- Pros: Amazing, stylish interface.
- Cons: Doesn’t really allow you to manage your downloaded files properly, especially if they are more than 20-30.
#10: Mp3 Search Stream and Download
While this is an open source application, written using C# and Net Framework 4, it does offer quite an impressive way to listen and download music from online links.
- How to use: All you have to do is open the song you want, then open the Mp3 Search Stream and Download application. Once the song’s stream is completed, you are free to download it using the app without a problem.
- Pros: Fast downloads and simple interface.
- Cons: Crashes from time to time. Has no other function besides downloading.