WMV is a very popular video format developed by Microsoft. However, for Mac users, it's a little bit head-scratching for them to play, edit WMV files and to import them to iTunes because its compatibility with Mac system is not very satisfying. For example, you can't play WMV with QuickTime; you can't edit WMV with iMovie or Final Cut Pro; you can't share WMV to video sharing sites that don't support WMV. WMV is not a welcome video format on Mac.
Fortunately, you only need a WMV converter for Mac to fix all these problems. With a common video converter software, you can convert WMV to MOV, M4V or MP4 format which is well supported on Mac. Here I would like to recommend a better WMV Video Converter on Mac (Mavericks and Mountain Lion included). that not only converts WMV file to common video formats, but also changes WMV to iMovie, Final Cut Pro and Mac-friendly format so you can play, edit and share WMV files on Mac without any hassle.
To convert WMV files, only 3 steps are required. See below. iSkysoft WMV Video Converter for Mac provides you with intuitive interface, high conversion speed, and excellent output quality, giving you a pleasant conversion experience.
How to Use WMV Converter for Mac to Convert WMV Files on Mac
Load WMV Files to WMV File Converter for Mac
After downloaded the application, mount the .dmg file by double-clicking it, and then drag and drop the software icon to the Applications folder (or wherever you want it ). Then run the software and drag & drop WMV files to the main interface. Or you can go to "File" menu, choose "Load Media Files" to locate the WMV files you want to add and click Load.
Choose the output format
If you want to convert WMV to MOV Mac for playing with QuickTime, choose MOV from the Video category. If you're converting WMV files for editing in iMovie, select "iMovie" from the Editing category. If you convert WMV video files for playing on your mobile device, directly choose the device name in the Device category. Over 100 presets are included. As regard to the Device presets, the optimized settings ensure the best output quality. You're recommended to change them only if you know what you're doing.
If you want to extract audio from WMV files on Mac, you can select the output format as MP3, AAC, M4A, AC3, WMA, WAV, etc.
Convert WMV files on Mac OS X (Mavericks and Mountain Lion included)
This Mac WMV converter can convert WMV video to all popular video formats for iPod, iPhone, PSP, PS3, Apple TV, Zune, Creative Zen, MP4 players and MP3 players and so on. Now simply click the Convert button and all your imported WMV files will be converted successfully.
- WMV to MOV Conversion: MOV is the universal video format for Mac. It's an ideal solution to convert WMV files to MOV format to fix the common WMV compatibility issues.
- WMV to MP4 Conversion : MP4, also known as MPEG-4 is a popular video format that is well supported on Windows, Mac and portable devices. See how to convert WMV to MP4 easily.
- WMV to AVI Conversion: Someone might prefer AVI to WMV, it's easy to convert WMV files on Mac using a WMV converter for Mac.
- WMV to iMovie Mac: iMovie comes with every Mac. If you want to edit WMV on Mac, iMovie is the best choice. But first, you have to convert WMV files to MOV so that you can import to iMovie.
- WMV to Final Cut Pro Mac: Final Cut Pro is one more prefessional video editing software than iMovie. For the same reason, you need re-encode WMV to a Final Cut Pro supported format. iSkysoft WMV Converter for Mac includes a Final Cut Pro preset, through which you can convert and import any WMV video to this video editor for Mac.
- WMV to iPad Mac: Like Mac OS X, iPad also can't play WMV video natively. See how to using iSkysoft WMV file converter for Mac to convert WMV files with high quality and enjoy WMV video on iPad's big and clear screen.
Knowledge sharing: What are WMV files?
Windows Media Video (WMV) is a compressed video file format for several proprietary codecs developed by Microsoft. The original codec, known as WMV, was originally designed for Internet streaming applications, as a competitor to RealVideo. The other codecs, such as WMV Screen and WMV Image, cater for specialized content. Through standardization from the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE), WMV has gained adoption for physical-delivery formats such as HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc. It doesn't necessarily define the technology what it uses -- since version 7 (WMV7) Microsoft has used its own flavour of MPEG-4 video encoding technology (not very surprising, it's not compatible with other MPEG-4 technologies). DivX video format is originally based on hacked WMV codec. Since WMV is mainly used on Windows, to use WMV on Mac, you'd better to convert WMV files to a Mac-friendly format using a WMV converter for Mac.