- 1. WMV Converter
2. Convert from WMV
3. Convert to WMV
4. Play WMV
5. Edit WMV
6. About WMV
Let's face it, Windows and Mac will never fully get along. Playing WMV (Windows Media Video) in QuickTime on Mac is no execption. So if you're looking to play WMV on a Mac with QuickTime, this article will show you the most trusted solutions to play WMV video on Mac (Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks, Yosemite and El Capitan included), and also help you to edit WMV in iMovie, add WMV to iTunes and more.
Convert WMV to QuickTime Compatible Format for Playback
When it comes to converting WMV files to QuickTime compatible format, you can't miss iSkyosft iMedia Converter Deluxe. It's an all-in-one video tool to help convert and play WMV on Mac OS X 10.6 or later (10.11 El Capitan included) with ease.
Key Features of iSkysoft iMedia Converter Deluxe
- Three simple steps to convert WMV videos to Mac supported format, like MOV.
- In addition to QuickTime MOV, it supports to convert WMV to 100+ formats, including MP4, AVI, FLV, M4V, MKV, DV, VOB, MPEG-2, 3GP, etc.
- If necessary, you can easily extract audio from your WMV video to M4A, WMA, WAV, MP3, AIFF, AAC, etc.
- Edit your WMV videos with built-in video editing tools, like Trim, Crop, Rotate, Effects, Subtitle, etc.
- Download online videos from YouTube, Vimeo, Vevo, Facebook, Hulu, Dailymotion, and more popular sites.
- Merge several WMV files into one video with one click.
- Fully compatible with Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista, Mac OS X 10.6 and later.
Steps for Convert WMV to Quicktime supported format
Step 1: Download the Program
At first, you need to download and install iSkysoft iMedia Converter Deluxe on your computer, then find it from the Application folder and click to launch the program.
Step 2: Add WMV Files
After launching the program, your can directly drag and drop the WMV file into the program, or just click the "+" icon at the bottom left corner of the program main interface to choose the WMV file and add to the program.
Step 3: Set the Output format
In the bottom format tray, there are some output video format options and optimized presets provided for QuickTime, iPhone, iPad, iPod, iMovie and more. To play WMV files on Mac, you can just choose "MOV" as output format.
Step 4: Start the Conversion
When you have selected the output format, you can click the "Convert" button to start the conversion.
Note: Under the help of iSkysoft iMedia Converter Deluxe for Mac, you can play WMV in QuickTime successfully in 1 minute. For Windows users, please download the Windows version and do steps in the same way. If you want to try other ways, please read on, but this solution is highly recommended.
Optional: Online Tool to Help Play WMV with QuickTime on Mac
Here is an online tool to convert WMV files to QuickTime supported format (.mov), then you can freely play them on Mac. Try it below:
Free WMV Player for Mac/Windows
#1. VLC Media Player
The VLC media player is the most popular and feature-rich open source media player available today. If you've determined to drop QuickTime, this free media player is the first recommendation for you. It has lots of pros over the cons.Pros:
- Support of a large number of audio, video and streaming formats.
- Can output videos to iPhone or iPod.
- Can stream videos over a network.
- Can play broken or incomplete downloads.
- Lacks multiple selection feature.
- Can't use escape key to exit full-screen view.
- Usually the video is smooth but no audio.
#2. Windows Media Player
The Windows Media Player is the most widely used media player on the planet, mainly because it comes free with Windows. It also has Mac version, but it's a pretty old version, which is not updated for years. It's no secret that the Mac platform has never been Microsoft's priority.Pros:
- Support of lots of common video and audio formats.
- Can't handle the latest audio and video codecs and streaming videos resulted in substantial buffer times.
- Doesn't offer Intel support, only for Power PC.
- Still encounters problem when it comes to Windows Media digital rights management.
If you insist of choosing Windows Media Player, please turn to this one: The Flip4Mac. It's the later version of Windows Media Player, with a few updated features. As one of the QuickTime components, it lets you playback videos in more formats on your Mac, including high definition ones. But if you want to import WMV and WMA files for conversion to QuickTime and QuickTime compatible formats, you need to upgrade to the pro version with $29.Pros:
- Free for the standard version.
- Plays WMV files in standalone Flip Player or QuickTime.
- Supports WMV in Safari, Firefox, Chrome and Mail.
- Doesn't obscure playback with controls.
- Doesn't not support the newest Mac OS X system, and has many limited functionalities in the free version.
- Can't play Windows Media Digital Rights Management.
- Can't fully handle Safari's default 64-bit mode in Snow Leopard.
- Leaves a watermark in QuickTime.
Tips: FAQs About Watching WMV on Mac
#1. Why can't VLC play WMV on Mac?
A: Although VLC includes all common codecs for video files, sometime it will also fail to play some WMV videos. In such cases, first make sure you're using the latest VLC. Secondly, make sure the WMV files are not corrupted. To do so, either try other media player software or try importing WMV to iSkysoft iMedia Converter Deluxe for Mac.
#2. Can all computers play .wmv files?
A: Of course NOT. WMV is encoded with Windows Media Video format so you need a media player with WMV decoder included, or your system provides such a decoder. If you're using Windows, you can usually play WMV files without any problem, but if you want to watch WMV video on Mac, you have to install a WMV player or convert WMV to MOV or other Mac-compatible formats first.
#3. How do you play WMV files on MacBook Pro?
A: The solution for playing on MacBook Pro is the same as that on Mac because MacBook Pro is running Mac OS X. That is to say, you can download a WMV player like VLC or convert WMV to MOV so you can play WMV on Mac, MacBook Pro, iPhone, iPad, iPod, Apple TV, etc.
#4. Media formats supported by QuickTime Player
Supported Video Format: QuickTime Movie (.mov), MPEG-4 (.mp4, .m4v), MPEG-2 (OS X Lion or later), MPEG-1, 3GPP, 3GPP2, AVCHD (OS X Mountain Lion or later), AVI (Motion JPEG only), DV.
Supported Audio Format: iTunes Audio (.m4a, .m4b, .m4p), MP3, Core Audio (.caf), AIFF, AU, SD2, WAV, SND, AMR.