- 1. How to Compress a Video
- 1.1 Compress MP4
- 1.2 Compress AVI
- 1.3 Compress MOV File
- 1.4 Compress WMV
- 1.5 Compress VOB
- 1.6 MPEG Video Compression
- 2. Top Video Compressor
- 3. Compress Audio Files
Millions of individuals share digital videos by way of uploading on a daily basis. One digital video format that is commonly used is MP4, which is the shortened version of MPEG-4. However, the MPEG-4 format was developed with the purpose of providing DVD quality pictures so it would be sometime too large to upload online or send to others by email. So is there any way to compress MP4 video to smaller size? The answer is yes, and the tutorial below will show you several different solutions about how to make MP4 video smaller.
Best Software to Compress MP4 Files on Mac and Windows PC
Key Features of iSkysoft iMedia Converter Deluxe
- Compress MP4 files in an extremelly fast speed (90 seconds for a 100MB video).
- Easy to use but comprehensive settings satisfies your MP4 compression requirement.
- Additional editing funtions help you to personalize your MP4 video before compression. You can trim, crop, rotate, add effects/subtitle/watermark to your MP4 videos at will.
- Compress MP4 to as many formats, resolutions, codecs and bit rates as you want.
- Directly compress MP4 to iPhone/iPad/iPod touch playable formats and resolutions.
- Compress MP4 to web sharing, including YouTube, VEVO, Facebook, Hulu, Vimeo and more.
- Multi-task support enables you to compress several MP4 videos at a time.
- Burn MP4 videos to DVD if you want.
- Perfectly compatible with the latest OS: Windows 10 & Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan.
==> Why choose iSkysoft iMedia Converter Deluxe
How to Compress MP4 Videos with iSkysoft on Mac OS X 10.6 and Later
iSkysoft MP4 compressor allows you to make changes to regular video settings like resolution, frame rate, bit rate, sample rate, and so on. By decreasing these values, you can make your MP4 files smaller than the original size. Follow steps to compress MP4 video without changing the format. And Windows users can go to the next part to get detailed guide.
This MP4 compressor Mac supports batch conversions so you are able to compress several files at one time. You can select multiple MP4 files by holding the command key, and then drag and drop them to the primary window.
In this step, please click "File" > "Encode Settings". In the resulting window, lower the value of resolution (important), bit rate and/or frame rate.
In addition to the above method, you can simply select a proper output format to reduce the video size, because MP4 files are usually larger than other files due to high compression rate. You can preview the video size on the main window before conversion. But please make sure your recipient can play the video in the selected output format. By the way, you can check this page to get detailed user guide of iSkysoft iMedia Converter Deluxe for Mac.
How to Reduce MP4 Video Size with iSkysoft on Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista
To start with, please import your MP4 videos to the Windows program with drag and drop method. Alternatively, you can also click "Add Files" to browse your MP4 files.
In this step, there are several ways to compress your MP4 files. The first one is to lower the quality of your MP4 file. To achieve that, you can adjust the parameter settings of your MP4 files. In addition, you can also change the output format from MP4 to FLV, WMV or other formats to reduce the video size.
Aside from changing the encode settings, this MP4 compressor provides with built-in video editor, which can help crop and trim your MP4 videos if you want. By the way, you can check this page to get detailed user guide of how to edit MP4 files on Windows.
There're many aspects that you need to consider when choosing the video compression tool that satisfies you most, such as the price, the compression quality and speed, ease of use, etc. The following table tells you why iSkysoft iMedia Converter Deluxe for Mac is the best one that you should get to compress videos on Mac.
|Supported Formats||iSkysoft is able to compress MP4 videos to FLV, MOV, 3GP, 3G2, MPEG-1, MPEG-2 and other foamats. You can also use the presets to directly compress MP4 file to iPhone/iPad/iPod touch and video sites like Youtube and Vimeo.|
|Compressing Speed||This software compresses videos in an extremely fast speed, while most tools in the market doesn't . (iSkysoft converts a 100MB videos within 90 seconds)|
|Free Trial||The free trial version provides full functions except watermark on the video.|
|Ease of Use||Though iSkysoft supports full compression settings, it's rather easy-to-use. The presettings almost done everything for you. If you're a professional user, iSkysoft can also satisfy you. Besides, iSkysoft can estimate the need compressing time and display it in the screen.|
|Additional Features||The additional video editor helps you to personalize MP4 files as your wish.|
|Burn to DVD||If necessary, this software allows you to burn MP4 videos to DVD. And you can also copy DVDs as you want.|
|Customer Support||iSkysoft offers you 24-hour support that solves any minor problem that you might encounter.|
MP4 Compression Setting Suggestions
Most people want normal MP4 compression. It greatly reduce the file size so that you can compress MP4 to email, iPhone/iPad/iPod touch and other devices or some video sharing sites, like YouTube.
If your aim is not reduce the MP4 video size, loseless compression is the one that suites you. This way keeps the all quality of the original MP4 file.
Actually, due to different requirements, there's no MP4 conversion setting that satisfies everyone. But if you know what kind of settings influence the file size, it'll be better for you to make the right settings.
- 1. The compressed MP4 file size depends on the following elements: codec, compress bit rate, resolution and the container.
- 2. In most occasions, H.264 is the best codec for MP4 compression.
- 3. About the bit rate, the lower bit rate, the smaller video you get. But please don't make it too low, otherwise the image quality can be really bad.
It'll be much easier for you to select the best video compression settings of you know what infuluences the size of compressed MP4 video.
You can directly select iPhone, iPad or iPod touch as output device if you want to compress MP4 to a small size that can be played on them.
Recommended MP4 Compression Settings for Youtube & Vimeo
If you want to compress MP4 videos for Youtube & Vimeo, just follow the table to choose the settings.
|Video compression settings for Youtube||Video compression settings for Vimeo|
|The same as the original video||24, 25, or 30 FPS|
1000 kbps (360p), 2500 kbps (480p), 5000kbps (720p), 8000kbps (1080p), 10Mbps (1440p), 35-35kbps (2160p)
2,000 kbit/s for standard definition (SD) video; 5,000 kbit/s for 720p HD video; or 10,000 kbit/s for 1080p HD video.
|426x240 (240p), 640x360 (360p), 854x480 (480p), 1280x720 (720p), 1920x1080 (1080p), 2560x1440 (1440p), 3840x2160 (2160P)||SD video include 640 x 480 px (4:3 aspect ratio) and 640 x 360 px (16:9 aspect ratio). HD video is usually formatted at 720p (1280 x 720 px) or 1080p (1920 x 1080 px).|
|Mono (128 kbps), Stereo (384 kbps), 5.1 (512 kbps)||128 kbps|
Optional Solutions to Compress MP4 Videos
ClipChamp is a free online video converter to help convert or compress videos. After uploading or draging the video file to it's page, you can convert or compress videos within several clicks.Pros:
- It is free.
- You needn't install any program on your computer. It's online.
- It only supports to convert or compress videos to MP4, WebM, WMV or GIF.
- You can't use it offline.
HandBrake is a totally free software for you to compress MP4 on Mac. The operation of the program is like other compressores, except the complicated keys and settings in the screen. Besides, it only support MP4 and MKV as output container, and the MP4 compression settings is not so humanized.Pros:
- It is free.
- Easy to use and user-friendly interface.
- If you want to compress MP4 to FLV or other formats or you need full pre-settings about video quality, resolution and bit rate, which will save you much time, Handbrake is not a good choice for you.
- You can't create or edit the information included in your video files.
#3. MacX Video Converter Pro
MacX Video Converter Pro is a video converter for you to compress MP4, MOV, AVI, WMV or more vdieos. You can change parameter settings according to your requirements. And it also provides detailed tutorial to help you convert or compress MP4 videos.Pros:
- It has an inbuilt Multi-core CPU and great threading mechanics.
- It has a simple user interface. It is easy for beginners to use.
- Aside from MP4, it supports limited video formats.