When looking for a data recovery solution, one of the ones you will find simply because it is easily accessible and recognizable is Ontrack Data Recovery. It is without a doubt an effective data recovery tool although it does have a few shortcomings as we shall see in this article. But most importantly, we are going to provide you with an alternative to Ontrack Data Recovery that has one of the best track records when it comes to data recovery.
Part 1. The Best Ontrack Data Recovery Alternative Software for Mac and Windows
If you need more "creative" control when it comes to data recovery, then you need iSkysoft Data Recovery for Mac (or iSkysoft Data Recovery for Windows). This is a do-it-yourself solution that works very well and even allows you to selectively recover data from any drive including external hard drives.
Key Features of Recoverit (IS):
- This program is completely safe to use. All the data on the drive and your device as a whole will be recovered intact and because it utilizes a read-only system, none of the data on other undamaged partitions will be damaged in any way.
- It can recover data that has been lost due to accidental deletion, virus infection, unexpected power outages, software crashes and even improper operations.
- Unlike a service like Ontrack Data Recovery, this program allows you to easily select the data you want to recover. You can preview the results and choose only what you need recovered.
- All of the data is recovered intact and in the original condition.
Step-by-Step Guide to Recover Lost Data
Here’s how easy it is to use Recoverit (IS) to recover missing data. But before we begin, we should point out that you will need to install the program to your Mac. It is however very important that you don't install the program on the same drive as the missing data. Doing this could overwrite the missing data making it difficult to recover.
Step 1 Launch the Software
It is easy to recover lost data using Recoverit (IS), at first download the program on Mac from its official website. Drag the downloaded files to Application folder, double click to launch it. In the main interface, choose the type for the files you lost, and click "Next" button on the bottom.
Step 2 Scan the Selected Disk
Next, you will find all your connected hard drive listed on the program, go on to select the drive which contains the lost data. Hit "Start" button to start to scan the drive data. If you do not find your target hard disk, please click "Refresh" icon to refresh the list.
Part 2. How Does Ontrack Data Recovery Work
Ontrack Data Recovery is a data recovery solution that has been available to both home users and business for more than 30 years. The service can be used to recover just about any type of file including photos, videos, document and music among others from just about all types of storage media including laptops, desktop, external hard drives and memory cards. The minute you discover you have lost some of the data on your device, you give Ontrack Data Recovery a call and they will guide you on how to send the device to them. Once they have received the device, they will analyze it to find out what files can be recovered and which ones are completely unrecoverable. They will then send you a report detailing the data that can be recovered as well as the price for recovering the data. Once you pay for the services, Ontrack Data Recovery will reconstruct the missing data and save the recovered file to your media storage device of choice.
Shortcomings of Using this Service
- The first thing you will notice with this solution is that you are not in control of the data that can be recovered. Everything is done remotely and you are not in a position to select the data that can be recovered.
- The cost of using this service is not fixed. Therefore, the kind of data recovery you need may be well above what you can afford or want to spend.
- You have to send the drive over to them without any guarantee that the rest of your data and the drive itself will be safe.
File Types Supported
|Windows and Mac||Videos, photos, music, documents, emails, archived files, etc.||Fast|
Ontrack Data Recovery
|Windows and Mac||Videos, photos, music, documents||Middle|