How can I fade in and fade out in a video? When people editing or creating videos, there might be needs to use the fade in and fade out effect to show the graphics and videos disappear slowly. It is commonly indicate the ending and beginning of the video scene. However, editors should pay attention to the point that does not overuse the fade transition effect in the video which will make the video look silly. So when and where to use the fade transition effect? Here in this guide, we will share tips and tricks about fade transition and how to create fade transition effects in a video.
- Part 1. What is Fade Transition Definition?
- Part 2. The Easiest Way to Create Fade Transition Effects
- Part 3. When and Why Do You Use Fade Transition Effect
Part 1. What is Fade Transition Definition?
What is fade transition? And what is fade in and fade out? A fade is a transition effect that made by a video editing technology. The fade transition used between two videos and two picture slideshows. The fade occur when the frame transfer into a single color or a new scene appears. Fade in effect is used to show a film or an act begins, while the face out transition is used to show the end of an act or a film.
A fade transition is different from a crossfade effect. The face is a transition effect that represents the changes between two shots but not turn one shot to a single color. It is commonly used the "fade to black" or "fade from black" in a film or a TV show. This editing technique is to use the fade in and fade out to show the beginning and ending of a scene. The editors can define the time of the fade in or fade out to indicate the importance in the change of the time and the location between the two scenes.
Part 2. The Easiest Way to Create Fade Transition Effects
There are many tools allowing you to make the fade transition on the videos, such as Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro, Sony Vegas, and others. However, these tools are more professional with complicated processing steps in making the fade transition. To create fade transition effect easily, we recommend you to use Filmora Video Editor for Windows (or Filmora Video Editor for Mac). The competitive feature of this video editing software is its easy-to-use yet powerful editing tools. The intuitive interface makes every tools visible and simply handled. Even a technical novice can have an overall grasp of this video editing software. You are able to apply the fade in or fade out effect with dragging and dropping.
Why Choose Filmora Video Editor:
- This video editor lets you to create and edit videos with every of your videos in any format.
- It is easy to split, rotate, crop, trim, control speed, adjust brightness, edit audio, adjust volume, etc.
- For further editing, you can stabilize video, enhance video, scene detach, do green screen, PIP, and more.
- It lets you stylize your video with transitions, filters, text/credit, overlays, elements, split screen, etc.
- One click to save the video to specified video, audio and image format, or upload the file to YouTube and Vimeo.
How to Create Fade Transition Effects in Video Step-by-step
The steps to create fade transition on your video are very simple with Filmora Video Editor. If you haven't got the program downloaded and installed on your computer, just download it from the official site. And then follow the below detailed steps to make a fade transition effect in your video.
Step 1. Launch the Filmora Video Editor
Double click on the program icon to launch the program. And in the main interface of the program, you will have several options to access the video editing feature. The "EASY MODE" gives you a basic and quick editing on the videos, while the "FULL FEATURE MODE" offers you more advanced video editing features.
To create a fade transition effect in the video, you can click on the "FULL FEATURE MODE" option.
Step 2. Import your video to the program
Now it comes to add your video files to the program for editing. There are 4 ways that you can use to add videos to the video editor.
1. The simplest way is to drag and drop the videos from your local hard drop, and import them to the media library of the program.
2. Another way is to click on the "Import Media Files Here" button, and the program will open your desktop file folder. Now you can choose the videos from the folder where the files has been saved. And then click on the "Import" button to load the video files to the media library of the program.
3. The third way is to import videos from your cameras or phones. You can click on the "IMPORT" button and select the "Import from Camera or Phone…" option from the drop-down menu. Then you are able to import the video from your camera or phone.
4. The forth way is to import the videos from your social media account. Also click on the "IMPORT" button and select the options of "Download Media from Facebook", "Download Media from Instagram…" or "Download Media from Flickr…", and then you can import videos from the site.
Step 3. How to create fade transition in your video
To apply the fade transition effect to your video, you first have to drag the videos from the media library to the timeline. And then click on the "TRANSITION" option from toolbar above the timeline. And then click on the Fade in or Fade out effect template, and drag the effect to the timeline for applying to your video. When it is done, preview the video to see the effect.
Step 4. Export the video to your computer
The last step is to save and export the video with the fade transition effect. Just click on the "EXPORT" button, and you will have several options to export the video. Click on the specified format like MP4, FLV, MOV, WMV, MKV, and more to save the video to your desired format. And done!
Part 3. When and Why Do You Use Fade Transition Effect
The fade in or fade out transition effect is commonly used to represent the beginning and ending of the scenes. The "fade to black" or "fade from black" effects are widely used. When you need to show the beginning of one scene, you can use the fade in transition effect, while you can use the fade out transition effect on the ending of the scene. The fade in or fade out effect should be placed between the two scenes in the correct position. And you can adjust the duration of the fade to fit the video theme.
When doing fade in or fade out, it is important to select the right tool. Filmora Video Editor is your best choice to create wonderful fade effect to your video easily and quickly. Do not hesitate to take a trial.