Among Windows users, AVI (Audio Video Interleaved) is a widely used format. With that, it's advisable to look for AVI video editing software specifically made for AVI files. This will allow you to create and share videos easily. If you have decided to download and install a free avi video editing software instead, you ought to know that there's a lot of software available in the market, but not all are capable of helping you out. This article will show 6 most popular free avi video editor recently.
Free AVI Video Editor
- #1. Filmora Video Editor
- #2. Windows Movie Maker
- #3. AVIedit
- #4. VirtualDub
- #5. Avidemux
- #6. Wax Video Editor
#1. Fimora Video Editor
Fimora Video Editor (or Fimora Video Editor for Mac) is a cross platform application that supports Windows and Mac OS X. It's fully compatible with AVI video format.Just feel free to drag AVI video clips and drop them to the software for further editing: trimming, splitting, cropping, applying filters, overlays, green screen, adding titles, background music and motion graphics, etc. Within a few clicks, you can see the AVI video is quite different. You'r able to preview the changes by playing the video in the Preview window. When it is done, you can also export the video as AVI format as well.
Key Features of Filmora Video Editor:
- If you are working on more than two different videos, you can join them using an appropriate animation.
- You can not only cut, crop or trim down the video but can also add text, pictures, Voice over and perfect animations on the videos.
- Great-looking animated titles can make your video stunning and special.
- It includes advanced editing power to Mac users with reverse playback, video stabilizer and pan and zoom features.
- Videos can be directly uploaded on the YouTube, Facebook or Vimeo from the software.
Step-By-Step Guide to Edit AVI Videos using Filmora Video Editor
This guide will take Windows version as the example, if you want to edit AVI on Mac with Filmora Video Editor, please check this link to learn more.
Step 1. Download and Install Filmora Video Editor
Visit the official page and download the Filmora Video Editor software that is compatible with your computer. Install the software and then launch it on your computer.
Step 2. Import AVI Video
Navigate to the top left and click on “Import” menu and click on “Import Media Files” option. From there, browse the video files on your computer and upload the AVI file that you want to edit. Click on it and open it with the video editor.
Step 3. Edit AVI video
There are several editing options offered by this software ranging from basic to advanced. Now, drag and drop the video to the timeline to begin editing.
To split the video, position the pointer to the point that you want to split the video and click on “Scissor” icon.
To crop and zoom the video, right on click on the video and select “Crop and Zoom” options. From there, you can zoom in, crop video and also zoom out the video.
When you right click on the video and click on “Edit” button, you will get audio and basic video editing. For video, you can rotate, adjust brightness, tint, contrast and saturation among others. For video’s audio, you will be able to adjust volume, fade in, fade out and adjust pitch.
To add effects, click on the desired effects let us say overlays and browse through the available overlays. Select the preferred overlay and drag to the timeline and it will be added to the video. You can preview the overlay before saving the changes. To remove the changes made use the undo button.
Step 4. Export Edited AVI file
What follows is for you to save the file on your computer. Click on “Export” button and go for “Output” option and choose the format to save your file and rename the file. Click on “Export” and you will be able to save the file.
#2. Windows Movie Maker
The Windows Movie Maker is a free AVI video editing software made by Microsoft and can be downloaded for free. It allows the user to create, edit, and share videos from the computer and upload it to the web. With the Windows Movie Maker 2.6, creating slideshow becomes more convenient, and you can also add music from other sources and save it in different formats, such as AVI.Pros:
- Easy to use, especially for video editing.
- Autopreview of effects.
- Several sharing options.
- Voice overs and other audio features.
- No saturation nor contrast adjustments.
- Effects can't be modified.
Supported Platform: Vista, Windows XP, 7, and 8
Just like its name, the AVIedit is the perfect AVI editor tool, especially for those who are working with AVI files. However, even though it's a freeware program, there's still a need to purchase the licensed version if you want to use all of the features. The AVIedit offers users an unlimited power of digital video editing. It's very easy to use and it has cool video effects, such as color restore, warping, and the ability to reduce noise. Furthermore, it's also capable of capturing video, because of the one-frame-per-minute option it has. The videos can also be sent to printer or post it online.Pros:
- Features include: change frame rates, frame size, duration of the video, color depth of the videos, and other video properties without sacrificing the quality of the video.
- AVI files can be converted to image files, such as BMP files and BMP files can be converted to AVI or animated GIFs.
- The interface is a little bit behind as compared to other video editing software available today.
Supported Platform: Vista, Windows XP, 7, and 8
The VirtualDub is a free AVI video editing program licensed under the GNU General Public License. That being said, it's an ideal software that allows the user to edit AVI files for free. It functions almost perfectly as to linear editing, video trimming, which includes bit-rate, frame, sharpness, contrast, and so on. With the use of third-party video filters, you can extend the batch-processing capabilities this video editor has.Pros:
- Aside from AVI files, it can also convert and edit BMP images, as well as MPEG1-video.
- Not as comprehensive as Sony Vegas nor Adobe Premier.
- Since VirtualDub is stable on its own, there's always the possibility that the use of third-party effects will negatively affect its performance.
Supported Platform: Windows 95/NT/98/ME/2000/XP/Vista
The Avidemux is a dedicated AVI video editor. It's easy to follow and it allows the users to decode, edit, and customize video scripts. Likewise, if you only want to trim, edit, or crop an AVI clip at a standard level, you'll also enjoy using this tool, because of its user-friendly features.Pros:
- Easy installation.
- The settings and buttons inside Avidemux has powerful abilities that allow the user to create powerful videos.
- When set manually, it can also be used to export AVI videos to mp4 and other formats.
- Only one filter can be applied at a time. Once it's done, you'll need to export the project to a file in order to open it.
Supported Platform: Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7
#6. Wax Video Editor
Wax is free AVI video editor software that has special effects (2D and 3D), as well as an embedded graphics acceleration feature. It supports editing AVI video and provides a smart and organized way to use the software with ease. This allows the user to manage video files with the help of the built-in manager feature.Pros:
- It can be used as a plug-in for Adobe Premier or Sony Vegas.
- Works well with 2D and 3D files.
- Rich video effects and outputs to a number of formats.
- The interface is outdated.
- If working with HD videos, it will seem a bit clunky.
Supported Platform: Windows 95/NT/98/Me/2000/XP